Amazon UK

Friday 10 August 2018

12 Things Readers Really Want Nonreaders to Know













Every reader has friends or family members who just don't get it. "Why do you read so much?" they might ask, staring at your overflowing bookshelves or your Reading Challenge on Goodreads. "I haven't read an entire book in years."





Oh, those poor, unfortunate souls… Haven't they heard about the very real scientific benefits of reading—like stress reduction and improved sleep? We asked our followers on Facebook and Twitter to share one thing about the comfort, joy, and importance of reading they wish nonreaders could understand. Check out some of our favorite responses below!







1. "Best therapy money can buy…or borrow for free with a library card. Reading helps me sleep, helps me forget about the day, and helps me relax in general." -Sarah



2. "Opening a beer when you get home will reward you for an hour. Opening a book when you get home will reward you for life." -Douglass



3. "Reading teaches you empathy, and it really gives you a chance to examine all the grey areas of life. You get to think about and see things from other perspectives—it's awesome!" -Nyeisha



4. "I feel like I have friends all over the world, through space and time, who I can visit whenever I need a break from my own life." -Kat



5. "Books are better than the movie. There is so much going on in the minds of the characters that movies can't show. To really understand the movie characters you love, read the book." -Linda



6. "The smells of books, whether they're new and old, are enjoyable and pair well with tea or coffee. People who are loathe to read are missing out on smell-o-vision." -Ian



7. "It's one of the ultimate escapes. You can forget where you are and who you are. There have been times I've gone to Middle-earth and Hogwarts and Narnia in my head just to survive… Everyone should have that blessed escape." -Ruby



8. "The more I read the easier it is to express what I am thinking or feeling. Thanks to books, I have the words." -Melanie



9. "You will always have friends. Real life doesn't always hand you the right people. But a book is the perfect place to find your people whenever you need them." -Gillian



10. "Don't give up on reading just because you tried one or two books that didn't do it for you. Keep trying, and I'm sure you will find your niche or genre. When you do, you'll be so glad you did!" -Wes



11. "Reading to me is like unconditional love. I always feel like I'm home when I read a book." -Susan



12. "Used correctly, a book can transport the reader on an instant mental vacation with no jet lag, TSA, or dysentery!" -Todd




Tell us how you share your love of books with nonreaders in the comments!



Check out more recent blogs:

7 Great Books Hitting Shelves Today

Published from Prison: The Books That Inspired a Former Bank Robber


20 Hottest Debuts of the Season





posted by Hayley on August, 08

from Goodreads Blog https://ift.tt/2MzRYuS
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

New video by Penguin Books UK on YouTube

GIVEAWAY 🎉 How To Dance The Charleston With Jacqueline Wilson 'Dancing the Charleston' is a brand new Jacqueline Wilson novel, ful...