Amazon UK

Thursday 9 August 2018

Don't Get Stuck in Your Genre: How War Movies and Zombies Inspired a Romance Novelist


You know what you like, right? Kristen Ashley thought she did. The bestselling romance author, whose books like Mystery Man and Rock Chick have earned more than a million ratings from readers on Goodreads, wanted her stories sweet, sultry, and always full of heart. Then she let a series of gritty films and one sexy apocalypse change her mind. Here Ashley shares how she expanded her reading horizons and why she thinks you should branch out, too.












I once made an insane deal with my boyfriend: I promised him I'd watch ten movies, whatever he recommended—no excuses not to watch.



He knew my preferences. I liked romantic and feel-good films, or anything with strong female characters, like Billy Elliott and Practical Magic. He also knew I never watched horror, prison, suspense, or war movies. I just found them hard to take.



The first three films he "made" me watch? Rear Window, edge-of-your-seat suspense; Cool Hand Luke, a prison movie; and The Hill, a prisoner-of-war movie. Ugh.



But guess what? They were all superb, so good that they redefined my way of thinking.




I learned not to shut the door on things I didn't think I could enjoy. And thank God, or I never would have watched the brilliant Get Out and so many other films along the way.



Why am I talking movies on a book lovers' forum? Because I so often hear the same things said about the subgenres in romance. "I've read everything you've written, except your fantasy. I don't read fantasy." Then, later: "I had to read another of your books, so I tried your fantasy. I loved it!"



I, too, was recently confronted with this by a book from my friend, and a writer I very much enjoy, Kylie Scott. Her book Flesh is a ménage romance set in—wait for it—the months after a zombie apocalypse.







I don't normally do zombies. Now I was going to read a zombie apocalypse ménage romance?




I thought about that question for a good five minutes. The answer was yes.



And then I couldn't put the book down. Kylie writes action like you would not believe. I was right there in the apocalypse. One would think they wouldn't want to be right there, after the collapse of civilization, but I was sorry to see the story end. I bought the next book, Skin, immediately. I devoured that, pun intended, and read the short story and novella from the series, all the while begging Kylie to write more.



Her Flesh series reminded me how we can get stuck in what we know, and what we know we like, and not venture out to things that might just rock our worlds.



Along those lines, I was honored to read an advance copy of Consumed by J.R. Ward, the master of the vampire novel and the woman behind the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Consumed has nothing to do with vampires or anything paranormal, but instead focuses on firefighters and SWAT team members, exploring contemporary issues that include family relationships and gender inequality. It was fantastic.



Then there's Joey W. Hill's Natural Law. This phenomenal book inspired me to write a femme domme erotica series of my own. It's not something I'd ever thought I'd do. I think Hill's is better; Joey is a master of the craft. I've since read a number of her astonishingly good novels, and they're not to be missed.



And I'll also add Jenn Bennett, who has her Roaring Twenties series. It's a little bit historical, a little bit mystical, a little bit fantastical, and a whole lot readable. Grim Shadows (the second in the series, and my favorite) has a scene in a museum that's just awesome. I'll say no more. Just read it.







Onward to the anthology that is sadly no longer available, The Devil's Doorbell, which was my intro to romance shorts and novellas, something I never thought I'd like. But I found it was what was missing in my busy life, the life of a writer and a reader who doesn't have a lot of time to lose myself in books, which is how I like to read. These stories were all exceptional. Every last one. And this experience led me to write for the fabulous 1,001 Dark Nights anthology.



And, of course, there's my favorite subgenre, historical romance. Judith McNaught, my ultimate, still reigns supreme. Her books stand the test of time, and if you haven't discovered her, you should, starting with A Kingdom of Dreams. Vintage romance still rocks it.



Loving historical romances, but having ventured away from them, I was a little concerned things would be different when I started reading Elizabeth Hoyt's Wicked Intentions. What had my time away done to my favorite subgenre? Suffice it to say, after a day and a half lost with my nose in Hoyt's book, I can say nothing's changed. Historical romances are still as brilliant as they always were, though thankfully a lot steamier.



So I urge you to branch out with your reading, too. Zombies? Yes! Don't like werewolves? Give them another shot. Do you scroll past an African American romance because it's something you've just never tried? Stop scrolling and give it a click, baby. Adore your second-chance love stories? They'll be waiting for you, but why not pop over to a hockey romance first?



Of course, to find the one for you, do your research. Read reviews. Ask your Goodreads friends.



And open your mind. It may change your world in a very good way.



Kristen Ashley's latest book, Wild Like the Wind, is now available. Add it to your Want to Read shelf here.









posted by Hayley on August, 07

from Goodreads Blog https://ift.tt/2OTRRff
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

New video by Penguin Books UK on YouTube

GIVEAWAY 🎉 How To Dance The Charleston With Jacqueline Wilson 'Dancing the Charleston' is a brand new Jacqueline Wilson novel, ful...