Amazon UK

Monday 26 March 2018

Actor (and Debut Author) Sean Penn Recommends Some of his Favorite Books


Double Academy Award-winning actor and filmmaker Sean Penn is the author of the debut novel Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff. Goodreads asked Penn to tell us about his reading habits, his favorite book and authors, and the novel he's both re-reading and recommending to his friends.













Goodreads: Why did you decide to write a book?



Sean Penn: For me it was time to work alone. Film provides great opportunities for collaboration, but it also DEMANDS collaboration and a like-mindedness I’ve come to find elusive. I wanted to do something privately—complete it, then later share it.










Goodreads: You've been described as an avid reader. Why is reading important to you?



Sean Penn: I have an odd relationship with reading. I've always struggled with retention. That has usually forced me to read in as close to a single sitting as a book's length, or density will allow. This means that when I keep company with a book, all outside that book is excluded.



At some point, my reading life became dominated by nonfiction, with the odd novel or volume of poetry slipping in only rarely. With nonfiction, I often binge on books that are specific to one region, or area of interest. When reading about a place that is connected to traveling the areas written about, those scents and smells and personalities supplement my retention deficit.



Goodreads: Tell us about some of your all-time favorite books.



SP: I loved reading You Can't Win by Jack Black. I could see his images and feel the rumble of the trains. I heard the language and felt urged to jump inside it. James Thurber also gave me giggles. Harry CrewsThe Knockout Artist, [Salman] Rushdie, [Christopher] Hitchens, [Douglas] Brinkley, Richard Ford, Philip Roth, Cormac McCarthy all gripped my attention, but, in the end, it was [Charles] Bukowski for me.



I'm also a gigantic fan of [Jon] Krakauer's books. All of them. He's an immersive nonfiction writer. Into The Wild is one book that defied my otherwise lackluster retention. I wrote the first draft of its screenplay ten years after having read it, and didn't re-read it until I'd completed the draft. Really stuck with me.




Goodreads: If you could require everyone to read one book, what would it be and why?



SP: D.T. Max's biography of David Foster Wallace. It's the most immersive read inside a contemporary man and author I've read. The periods of isolation and depression that separated him from the rest of life for so many years should be a cautionary tale for those who voluntarily distance themselves through a social media that is anything but social. I also love David Rabe's Recital of The Dog. If it comes down to just one book, I'd say Steve Coll's Ghost Wars. It adds context to where we are today.



Goodreads: What are you currently reading and what books are you recommending to friends?



SP: I've been re-reading Alejo Carpentier's The Lost Steps. Brilliant beautiful book…and, I recommend it.








































posted by Cybil on March, 26

from Goodreads Blog https://ift.tt/2pI9eUv
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

New video by Penguin Books UK on YouTube

GIVEAWAY 🎉 How To Dance The Charleston With Jacqueline Wilson 'Dancing the Charleston' is a brand new Jacqueline Wilson novel, ful...