Amazon UK

Tuesday 1 May 2018

May's Poetry Contest Winner: To Laura who Taught me the Physics of Color
















Every month, Goodreads and the
¡POETRY! group host a poetry contest. It's a great way to discover and support the work of emerging poets. Join the ¡POETRY! group where you can vote to select the winning poem each month from among the finalists. Aspiring poets can also submit a poem for consideration.



Congratulations to Rose Boehm, who is our May winner with this poem:


To Laura who taught me the physics of color




by Rose Boehm





Colors are only the degree

of how much is being rejected.

You shimmered almost white

when you told me you’d be leaving.

White is supposed to reflect all colors

of the visible spectrum of light.



Said you felt drained by my

needs. Called me a black hole.

Said I absorbed, absorbed, absorbed.

I was black, sly, silent, deadly.



With as much honesty I can muster,

I can’t say I received anything from you.

Colors need a sender, and a receiver.

My receptors remained empty.



Like a child I expected rainbows

and refractions. Fata Morganas

and other phenomena.



Colors exist in tangible objects.

Your lips reflect the specific

wavelength of red.



Perhaps you were right.

My black is becoming blacker.

Taking, consuming, increasing absence.

Diminishing all that was.
















posted by Cybil on April, 25

from Goodreads Blog https://ift.tt/2jky3mJ
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

New video by Penguin Books UK on YouTube

GIVEAWAY 🎉 How To Dance The Charleston With Jacqueline Wilson 'Dancing the Charleston' is a brand new Jacqueline Wilson novel, ful...